Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Paint it White

Can it be that Winter has finally arrived? Technically speaking, the season has been around for over a month, but for some reason it just doesn't feel like Winter until there we have ourselves a good layer of snow on the ground. The big ole "Storm of the Century" was nothing but a big ole bust around our neck of the East Coast, but it was nice to finally get a good snow under our belts for the new year.

I don't know what it is exactly, but for me, I think the snow makes all those bitter Winter nights worth the shivering. Somehow, the snowfall brings a feeling of peace to the world. There's nothing better than heading outside in a good snowfall, with the ground already covered, and listening to the absolute silence around - especially during the twilight hours. Standing in that blank slate of Mother Nature's art project and hearing no other sound except perhaps for a gentle breeze sweeping past the ears. It's a very calming feeling and one that I wish I could take advantage of more often. It's one of those times to finally stop and smell the roses, so to speak. It's a chance to put the hustle and bustle of the world aside and reflect on what was and what will be. It's not bad for skiing either, when you think about it. That is one of the things I do miss from my past - those all too brief trips to the slopes - whether it was those ski club sponsored school trips, or that last trip with Shannon for a Valentine's weekend getaway. I hope to get back there one of these days, or at least one of those days in the future - maybe after Abby starts crawling. That would be the perfect time to get her on a pair of skis. Gotta start 'em young!

And once the Time of Reflection is over, well naturally it's time to start building some hills and snow forts for some good old fashioned sledding and snowball fights. Nothing beats those days of youth, especially them days back in the 80's when G.I. Joe and Star Wars were at the forefront of every pre-teen aged boy's mind. A good snowfall meant taking the battle from in front of the fireplace on the the living room floor out into the great white open, either recreating the Battle of Hoth or (when the snow series was produced) having G.I. Joe continue their battles against the evil COBRA organization.

Year after year it never got old. But as these things tend to happen, I did. Now I am just going to have to force myself to live vicariously through the kids. Abby got to celebrate her first big snowfall on Tuesday, and hopefully there will be many more to come. I am sure Erin can't wait for her to get old enough to enjoy the snow with her big sister, the way my brother and I used to do all those blizzards and ice storms ago. Part of me can't wait for that time either - it will be my chance to go back to those days of youth and enjoy it all over again. The other part, however, wants Abby to stay young just a little bit longer. Hopefully her first Winter will last a little bit longer than the nine that have just seemed to fly by now with Erin.

In the mean time, I'll just keep enjoying the memories and waiting for the real "big one" this year because there is nothing like a good old blizzard to spice up the usual boring routine once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment