Friday, March 20, 2015

The time needs to stop a changin



Well, if March came in like a pride of lions, winter is certainly going out with a streak of tigers. Here on the Northeast, we are getting inundated with, literally, the last snowstorm of the ’14-’15 Winter season. Why couldn’t this have come around the Christmas holiday, to give us even more of a joyous season? Ah well, just like the storms that came in with the month, this will be but a passing memory to speak about over a cup of coffee in a few days.

While I was pondering over the irony of having a major winter event fall upon us at this particular time of year, I got to thinking about that other event that occurs around this time of year as well – that grand ole event of changing our clocks one hour ahead of “normal time” with Daylight Saving Time. I don’t think there’s much more that annoys me than this semi-annual ritual of the changing of the clocks. Now I did a bit of research on that great repository of human knowledge known as Wikipedia just to find out what in the name of whatever Deity you happen to believe in (or none at all) who thought this was a good idea and why.

Turns out, a New Zealander by the name of George Vernon Hudson (may his name be forever cursed) came up with the modern idea in 1895. He did it so he could have more time after work to collect bugs… That’s right, we know have to endure this apparently unending nonsense of changing our clocks twice a year because of freaking bugs. Now of course, in the intervening years, there have been a myriad of other reasons that DST has been implement, and discontinued, in many countries. At one point, most of the world observed it, but nowadays, the US, Canada, and Europe comprise the bulk of the countries that still continue the ritual. At least most of the rest of the world wised up and realized just how useless this practice really is. It’s about time the rest of us did to. Heck, not even all of the US observes DST as my wife and I had the joy of experiencing in a cross country trek for vacation many years ago as we changed times no less than three times when we went through Arizona.

Oh well, I guess I can always dream of the day when we finally no longer have to waste time and energy springing forward and falling back every year. Speaking of which, to those who think it helps save energy … what’s the difference if I don’t need to turn on the lights an hour earlier at night when I have to turn them on an hour earlier during the day? Seems like a wash to me. In fact, I think I might just start waking up earlier so I can turn on them lights and waste a few extra joules out of spite.

No comments:

Post a Comment