Friday, May 1, 2015

Time, Tenths, and Cadillacs



May has finally arrived. Hopefully more Spring/Summer like weather will be coming along with it. At least I think we can finally put the thought of snow behind us until much later this year. But of course that will be here before we all realize it the Summer has come and gone already. A long time ago, I read somewhere that time itself was speeding up and that’s why it seems more and more we have less time to do things and each day, week, month, season, and year just seem to keep coming and going and blending into one another faster and faster. I don’t think I really buy into that notion. It seemed that Summers and Holiday Vacations went too fast already back when I was a kid.

No, I don’t think it’s as much as time speeding up as it is all the things we try to cram into that time nowadays. Instead of making our live easier, technology it seems has made our live much busier than they necessarily need to be. I think that’s one of the reasons I look forward to the Summer so much now, even though those wonderful two and half months of being off from school are far behind me. It’s those little family trips and the annual vacation that take us away from all the grind and I can just enjoy spending the day doing something fun without having to worry about anything else. Which brings to mind a stupid-ass Cadillac commercial that was running last year, inferring that Europeans aren’t hard working because they take a whole month off. Just goes to show how much corporate America (and thusly the American government) are so out of touch the backbone of this country – the working class and impoverished. Sorry Caddy, but we work our butts off everyday just to keep a roof over our heads and we only take a week off because that's all we get ... if we're lucky.

But I’m getting sidetracked here. What got me to thinking today was the culmination of some anniversaries that rolled around this week. First the sad one – it’s been almost a month since Willy has been gone, and of course I still miss him. It’s hard to have an animal in your life for so long and not to miss having them around when they are gone. It’s still tough for me to go up and feed Flash and Hershey and not see him waiting in his usual spot. He was a real good cat.



The second one is a much happier one and a decade in the making. I started this blog with a post wondering where the “missing” decade of the 20-aughts went, but at least I can say that this particular decade of 2005-2015 has been a whirlwind of good things. It’s kind of ironic though, considering I never thought I would be where I am today, which brings to mind the current State Farm commercial about the guy who is “never” going to do something, until he does in the next scene. That was pretty much me for my early life, back in the days where I was sure I wouldn’t live to see 40, and even now up to today as we finish celebrating Abby’s 7 month birthday.

I think I can finally say that I am finally satisfied with where my life is today, and where it may be going in the future. There’s a calm and peacefulness that I haven’t felt for a long time. Now if we can only get that month off to really enjoy it. At least we’ll still have Hersheypark this summer to slow down and take a breath while looking forward to the next decade, one which sure has heck not have a Cadillac in it.

In the mean time, here’s a link to a video for a segment Bill Maher did on the commercial. I found it quite amusing, and true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjqIgeFR6Ds

No comments:

Post a Comment